Tishta the Crystal Orb: Revised Draft Complete

Words cannot express my excitement. This morning, I finished the final edit of my revised draft (so, the third draft) of “Tishta the Crystal Orb.” I am barely able to contain myself.

As I suspected would happen, I made far fewer changes to the last section, “Part 5: Mondar.” The word count dropped by a mere hundred, to 46,591, while the page count increased by two, to 146. The totals for book now stand at 173,079 words and 539 pages (according to Scrivener).

The increase in pages is consistent with one of the edits I have been doing—ensuring paragraphs handle a single character’s actions whenever possible. While this edit has created a plethora of single sentence paragraphs, it has allowed them to convey a single idea. It also helped, organizationally, to clarify the actions being made by the characters. Now that I have completed this, I will likely try out combining sentences into paragraphs on a future edit pass. It might help me to see where words, sentences and paragraphs can be removed—it has already made some of these more clear and led me to do some pruning.

I love this section of the book. It tests the crucial relationship that has grown between Malcan and Coltan, and shows how far each is willing to go to protect the other. It starts to distance Criften from the group, which will play a pivotal role in following stories. Brant comes into his own as a warrior. Mar’s abilities as a healer, and some other ones, manifest and grow. And, a new member is added to the band.

Now begins the work of sending out the draft to my Beta Readers.

I need to look into ChimpMonkey and other tools for managing email lists. For this round, I might simply manage the emails myself—my list of readers is around two dozen.

Scrivener will produce the manuscript in whatever format my readers require, but I have to figure out how to distribute it—probably a DropBox with all the requested formats in it. But, I have not yet decided. I will blog the steps here, when I get it sorted out.

Once the beta is distributed, I will focus on creating my maps, cover art, spine art and back cover. As I find the tools to do these, I will share here. I also need to figure out how to include them in Scrivener.

I need to polish my “elevator pitch,” “About this Book,” “About the Author”—oooh, “author”—and “Afterwords.” I will review the “Dictionary” to ensure everyone and everything are represented, and that the text does not give away spoilers for the next books. The last of the notes need to be reviewed to ensure I did not miss anything important.

It is not quite time to look into better recording gear. I hate it, that this revision of the book has not been recorded. I usually listen to it whenever I am not doing something else—even as background noise while I am asleep—so having an out-of-date recording is aggravating. I keep hearing things I want to change, and I don’t know if I already updated them. I would also really like to hear the parts that I changed, to ensure they sound correct to my ear. This will have to wait until I get feedback from my readers. Sigh.

There is, undoubtedly, a lot of work left to do before “Tishta” can be published. I am feeling confident that I can meet my scheduled deadline of the end of the year. It will be my birthday present to myself.

Copyright ©2014-17 Ramona Ridgewell. All rights reserved.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s